Delicate & deliciously airy soufflés featuring Ivy’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar from Wyke Farms.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Skill Level: Moderately Easy
- 1 and 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 small onion, thickly sliced
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 4 tbsp butter, plus extra for greasing
- 7 tbsp plain flour
- 1 heaped tsp English mustard
- 4 eggs, separated
- 5 oz Ivy’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar, finely grated
- 1/2 cup double cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put milk, onion, nutmeg and bay leaves into a pan. Bring to the boil, then set aside to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Butter 8 individual 5 oz ramekins.
- Melt the butter in a second saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring. Take off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Discard onion and bay leaf. Return to the stove and stir until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Off the heat, stir in the mustard, egg yolks and 3/4 of the Ivy’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar, then season. Scrape mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- In another big bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Boil a full kettle. Carefully fold the whites into the cheese mix and fill ramekins 2/3 full.
- Transfer to a roasting tin, then pour the boiling water into the tin until it reaches halfway up the ramekins. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until risen, just set and still a little wobbly. Take out of the tin and leave to cool.
- To serve, heat oven to 430°F. Loosen soufflés around the edges with a knife, then turn out, upside down, into a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with rest of the Ivy’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar, then spoon 1 tbsp cream over each soufflé.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes till puffed and golden on the top. Serve at once with Smoked Cheddar, Apple and Celery Salad with Warm Walnut Dressing.