Savory & cheesy chicken enchiladas featuring U.K. Mature Cheddar from Wyke Farms.
Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch of pimentón or smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 or 1 tsp chili powder (depending on preference)
- 3 chicken breasts, skinless
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 6 oz of sweet corn, drained
- 4 medium corn and wheat tortillas
- 3 1/2 oz of Wyke Farms U.K. Mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- Cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 14 oz of chopped tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small avocado, diced
- Shredded Baby Gem lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 green chili, finely sliced
- Handful of torn coriander leaves
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Make the spice mix - mix the 6 spices together and set aside 2 teaspoons of the mix.
- Drizzle a little oil into a medium sized saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and the reserved 2 teaspoons of the spice mix. Stir everything together well and cook for a further minute before adding the tomatoes. Add the same volume of water and season with salt and pepper. Leave to simmer gently for about 15 minutes until it has reduced slightly and is nice and thick.
- Next, place the chicken breasts into a strong, plastic bag and bash them with a meat mallet until about 1/2 an inch thick. Put the rest of the spice mix onto a plate and press the chicken breasts into it, coating them generously on all sides.
- Heat a large frying pan and add a drizzle of oil. Fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes, turning frequently, until they start to char and are just cooked through. Set aside. Add the red onion, pepper and sweet corn to the pan, with a touch more oil if needed and cook for 2-3 minutes again, until just charred.
- Once the tomato sauce is cooked, spread most of it onto the base of a rectangular ovenproof dish, around the same width as your tortillas (save some of the sauce for the top).
- Cut the chicken into thin strips and divide between the tortillas. Top with the pepper and sweet corn mixture and sprinkle over a little of the cheese.
- Roll up the tortillas and place them into the dish, side by side. Spoon over the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven until golden and crisp.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice.