Mini Muffins with Smoked Salmon
These mini cheese and caper muffins are delicious filled with smoked salmon and crème fraîche. Serve with fresh watercress salad for a lovely light lunch.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 6 oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 oz cornmeal
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 4 oz Vincent cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 3 oz melted butter
- 7 fl oz milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease 24 mini muffin tin holes with a little butter. In a large bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- Stir in the cornmeal, parsley, ¾ of the Vincent cheese, the capers, salt and black pepper into the flour mixture and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat together the egg, melted butter and milk and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined, the batter will be lumpy. Fill the muffin tins about ¾ full, then sprinkle the tops with the reserved Vincent cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until risen and firm.
- To serve, slice the muffins in half and top with a little crème fraîche and some smoked salmon. Delicious when eaten warm or cold with a handful of fresh watercress salad.